Casual January Drinks & Games Meet

12:00:00


On Sunday Leeds comm had its first meet of this year: a casual gathering for drinks and games. Although the theme was casual, I seem to have absolutely no idea how to casual (or better still: how to casual whilst remaining weather appropriate), so I just went with the best thing I could do, which still ended up being comfy and toned down (even if from petti down I was pretty cold).

I totally didn't take a proper outfit shot that day,
so this is the only one that I have.

A better view of what I wore:
| Bodyline Sweet Macaron JSK | vintage blouse | Peacockalorum
underskirt | Antaina tea parties | Innocent World Diamond Rose
OTKs | Cutie Creator headbow | Enchantlic Enchantilly Sugar
Confectionary
Ribbon Necklace | Chocomint ring (not pictured) |

This selfie best shows off my new lipstick: Trinket from
Sugarpill. It sparkles and stays for ages, I love it!


The meet took place at Dry Dock, a pub-type place in Leeds which I know my comm has been to before a few times, but which I visited for the very first. The turnout was actually a lot better than I had anticipated, which was great – you got to see the regulars and catch up with people you haven’t seen in a while as well as get to know a few new people (well, new to me, not to the comm). The relaxed atmosphere at Dry Dock, particularly at the time we arrived which was around 1:30-ish, encouraged chatting and getting to know each other, which was brilliant. They also have a neat selection of food and drink – my lunch, curried cauliflower with rice, kinda looked like something served in an old school or in a hospital because of the weird plates, but it tasted lovely. The drink was called Bohemian Raspberry (still makes me giggle) and had actual bon bons and marshmallows inside, but ended up being too sweet even for me – and I drink pretty much exclusively sweet alcoholic drinks!

Bohemian Raspberry


We then had a few games, starting things off with Consequences. For anyone who doesn’t know it, it’s a pen and paper ice-breaker game: one person writes a sentence, the next one is meant to draw out the sentence then cover the original sentence up for the next person to have a guess at what that sentence is. Then the drawing is covered, so that the next person draws based on what the third person down the line wrote and so on until you run out of space. (It makes far more sense when you do/see it.) Mine ended up pretty hilarious, as well as very current: my initial idea came from the headline that downloading the Meitu kawaii app on your phone infects it with spyware, and then it descended into this:

Click to enlarge

Afterwards some of us played a bit of Bucket of Doom, which is similar to Cards Against Humanity, except that instead of completing sentences with your cards you use them to make a story as to how the item on your card will help you escape the situation read out from the scenario card. And just like with CAH, I found that I’m not particularly good at it, I ended up being too literal or just not had particularly funny cards for the scenarios given.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t stay as long as I wanted to. Although Bradford and Leeds are only a 20min train ride away from each other, the commute is a lot longer and more tiring than it seems, especially on Saturday evenings when you’re in Lolita. I wish that I lived in Leeds – not only is it cooler, but then I could’ve stayed longer without having to worry about busses home etc., I could’ve just taken the taxi back. All the more saddening as it seems I’ll have to miss the February meet because I’ll be away in Germany visiting family. Time really flew by during that meet and it was great to see so many friendly faces again. Maybe one of the other comms will put something on that I could attend and get my monthly dose of Lolita meet vibes…?

How have you been so far? Did you manage to get to any meets yet or wear Lolita out and about? Are you one of us battling the cold right now and trying your best to stay warm as well as cute? If you are, I hope you’re doing a better job of it than I am!

8 comments:

  1. Haha the game is hilarious, I have to remember it for a meet-up in case I need a conversation starter!
    I organized a meet-up for this Saturday, much more people want to come than I expected, I guess because everyone has a lot of time in January? I hope it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great ice breaker, I'd really recommend doing it, especially since it's so cheap and literally everyone can take part. Sounds like you'll have a great meetup with lots of people. Fingers crossed that all goes well! :D

      Delete
  2. Sounds fun. The hospital vibe plate is not the best way servering food, fun, but I vaguely remember how awful hospital food is. I remember as younger playing similar game without sentences, just contuine drawing from lines. Makes the weirdest drawings ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was weird and even though my food was nice, because it didn't look appealing it put me off a little. Next time I'll know to get a burger or something, if I go back there, other people who had burgers had more appetising meals. And some other people has really bizarre drawings (and sentences) on their sheets. I think one was something like Mana-same riding a tiger, wearing a crown and drinking tea from the Holy Grail - or something along those lines. :P

      Delete
    2. Properly a drawing I would keep in a scrapbook. But moite has released so many wine glass, so I have hard to believe he is drinking tea of the grail...

      Delete
    3. The original might've been wine, but as it deteriorated through guessing sentences and guess drawings, at some point it did end up being a holy cup of tea. :P

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a fun meetup! A version of Consequences I used to play is each line was a thing so you started with a person, hid it, passed it on, then the second line was "went to", the third was "to do..." and so on so there was some structure but a lot of randomness too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I've heard of this version as well! That could work so too as an ice breaker, it'd be a bit more fast paced than the drawing version, but would still produce some hilarious stuff. And it'd be easy to modify to includ some Lolita specific things like print names etc.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.