Work Outing

10:00:00
Recently I’ve been working on adopting a mentality of wearing a Lolita fashion outfits more to non-Lolita events. While my family and SO are already familiar with this and accept it as my go-to dress up choice, for most others this is still new or something they’ve heard about, but never seen in person. The best way to normalise something is to expose people to it, so this weekend when a few friends from work and I were throwing a surprise birthday do for another friend, I decided to wear a toned down, yet still elegant coord.

| Innocent World Georges Rose JSK | New Look blouse | BtSSB
Forever Enchanted Midnight Spell bolero | Angelic Pretty
Classical Petit Rose headbow | offbrand flower clips, necklace,
earrings, tights and boots | 


Innocent World’s Georges Rose JSK is very simple, to the point where it could easily pass as a vintage dress, but it’s still really elegant. I haven’t worn it at all since last August and because then I wore it casually, I never took any photos of my outfits, which is a shame, really. I was also hoping to channel some spring vibes and bring spring to the UK, but I seem to have achieved the exact opposite effect – but more on that later. And while I took the photos while my hair was still vaguely wavy, I am growing to like simple hairstyles with straight hair. Curling my hair is a lot of effort and while it’s usually worth it for the look, I want to learn to incorporate more straight styles, since that’s how my hair naturally is. Although I guess it’s more a matter of hair accessories than the hairstyle itself.

The party was held at Zizzi, an Italian chain restaurant which is ever so slightly fancier and upmarket, but still reasonably enough priced to not scare off those of us who were on the budget. Unfortunately, the snowy blizzards have scared one person off and she ultimately didn’t make it.

It was an absolute success! The whole thing was planned for a good month and a half and because we all work together and see each other often, as well as chat via Whatsapp outside of work, it was hard to keep it all a secret. I nearly slipped up once, just at the very last minute. But we all did it, kept our mouths shut, so that when the birthday girl arrived, her shock was 100% genuine. It was priceless and the best surprise we could’ve prepared.

We spent the evening just enjoying being able to hang out together ad take our time. Usually we meet at lunchtimes, which always have to end when the first person says “I have to get back to XYZ”, so being able to spend hours chatting and eating really delicious food was fantastic. If you’ve never been to Zizzi, but can go to one, I’d recommend it. Their menu offers plenty of options for vegetarians, as well as some vegan options (which is partly the reason it was picked as our venue for the night) and all the food was delicious. I ordered mushroom brindisi for starter (essentially toasted ciabatta topped with mushrooms and cheese flavoured with rosemary and garlic oil) and tortelloni rosso for main (ricotta filled tortelloni in a smokey pepper sauce), both of which were delightful and filling, but not to the point where I’d feel overstuffed and heavy – yes, even with this much carbs in one meal.

Obligatory food photo no 1.

Obligatory food photo no 2.

But the real adventure started as we were making our ways home. I was offered a lift by the birthday girl, who lives very near me. In the four hours or so we spent at Zizzi the snow kept falling and it wasn’t intending to stop anytime soon, so once we left the restaurant, we were met with a thick-ish duvet of white fluff, as well as plenty of treacherous ice underneath. She almost decided to abandon the car in the car park and call her husband for help, but decided to give it a go instead. Which, long story short, ended with us getting stuck on the side of an uphill road and calling her husband for help anyway. Good thing it was a Saturday and neither of us had further plans, but still, between us leaving the restaurant and us actually reaching home there was an hour difference when there should’ve been no more than twenty minutes. I’m just laughing it off, she can laugh it off now too and it was a fun adventure in great company – if I’m ever to be stuck in a car again, then I can only wish for my company to be this good.

Although personal highlight of the evening must’ve been how accepting my work friends were of my dress choice. They were complimentary and curious, and managed to pick at some of the nicer reference points that non-Lolitas usually grasp at when met with the fashion, like Alice in Wonderland and children’s books in general – I’ll take that any day over Little Bo Peep or cosplay. So if anyone of you out there is wondering whether to break your fashion choices to your extended circle, I’d say to at least give it a go. I mean, if you like those people enough to meet them outside of work, then they must understand you enough to be accepting of what you choose to wear at the very least. Maybe next time I’ll break out something a little bolder, like a print or a colour combination less common outside of Lolita? It’s a challenge that I’m up for!


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that wearing lolita was so well received by your work colleagues. It sounds like a fun evening too, even with the snowy adventure part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I see it, the snowy adventures part may have been a highlight, even though my colleague was probably stressed out by it. :P But this has encouraged me and now I'm waiting for warmer weather so I could wear something similar to this to work one day.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.